Saturday, April 27, 2013

Momma's Buttermilk Biscuits


When I was growing up, I loved it when my mom would make biscuits! In Texas, these more commonly accompany dinner (than the rest of the US, where biscuits are a breakfast food). Easy to whip up when you need to add some carbs to your dinner. We all need that.



Momma's Biscuits
1. Mix:
           - 3 teaspoons baking powder
           - 1/2 teaspoon salt
           - 6 tablespoons shortening or butter (I always use butter!)
           - 2 cups flour

2. Add - 1 cup buttermilk (I never have buttermilk on hand, just sour milk by adding a bit of lemon juice.)

3. Flour your hands and a flat surface well. Roll the dough into a ball, then flatten the ball with a rolling pin or whatever you have on hand. Cut into circles.
(I rolled my dough with an old wine bottle and cut my circles with a small glass!)

4. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 450F for 8 minutes.
Serve with butter, jelly, or my favorite--- butter and honey!





2 comments:

  1. This one made me smile because butter & honey are my picks for biscuits too... which we eat around here with supper at least a couple of times a month. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm so good! Kindred spirits strike again!

      Delete