Monday, April 8, 2013

Chicken Chimichangas

Living in Koper, I have to do what I can to satisfy my longings for good old Tex-Mex. Usually, my Mom's Chicken Enchilada recipe will do the trick, but in February I decided to think outside the box and create a new recipe!
Chicken Chimichangas
Ingredients:
  - Chicken (raw or pre-cooked)
  - Oil
  - Shredded Cheese
  - Garlic Cream Cheese
  - Salsa
  - Milk
  - Taco seasoning + other seasonings of your choice

1. Saute the chicken (raw or boiled and shredded) in oil with seasonings of your choices.
I used a bit of every seasoning I could find: salt and pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and a dash of taco seasoning. 

2. Fill tortillas with chicken, shredded cheese, and salsa. Fold the top and bottom in, and then roll closed (where no filling can escape from any side!) Pin closed with 2 toothpicks.
Most recipes call for using 12-inch tortillas... we don't have 12-inch tortillas here! I use small ones and they work great. 
Cheese:  I would prefer cheddar, but I've had to find alternatives here- we used a cheap shredded "pizza cheese" that's a blend of Gouda and others. 

3. Fry it in hot oil for 2 minutes on each side. Watch them closely: they cook quickly!

4. For the topping, mix milk (1/4 to 1/2 a cup, depending on how thick you want your sauce), 1/5 package of taco seasoning, and 1 package of garlic cream cheese. Heat in the microwave and then slather on the cooked Chimichangas.  How did I not discover "garlic cream cheese" until we moved here?!

A normal adult will eat 2-3 of these small chimichangas. I cook them 2 at at time, and it cooks quickly!


No comments:

Post a Comment