Sunday, July 14, 2013

Stuffed Steak with Red Wine Sauce

I recently received a new cookbook from my wonderful sister-in-law, Mindy, when they drove down from Germany and spent a weekend with us. So far, (almost) every recipe I've tried from the "Betty Crocker Cookbook" has been a success! The original recipe was "Gorgonzola and Mushroom-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin with Merlot Sauce". However... we didn't have Gorgonzola or beef tenderloin or Merlot. So here was my adaptation!


Stuffed Steak with Red Wine Sauce
- beef steak
- mushrooms (I just used canned mushrooms)
- butter
- bread crumbs
- cheese (I used Parmesan and Guda)
- seasonings (I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary)
- beef broth 
- red wine

1. Tenderize the beef steak with a mallet until it is thin and pliable.

2. Saute mushrooms in butter until tender.

3. Cover steaks with mushrooms, breadcrumbs, and cheese.

4. Roll the steaks up like a burrito. Pin closed with 2 toothpicks.
 (the Betty Crocker recipe says "tie with kitchen string". I'm not sure what kitchen string is... and I definitely don't have that on hand. I always have toothpicks, and I'm not afraid to use them).

4. Coat the outside of the steak with spices.

5. Bake at 425F until they reach a desired done-ness. (The steaks are thin, so don't over-cook! I watched ours closely and took them out in less than 10 minutes).

6. Meanwhile, heat 1/2 cup of beef broth, 1 tablespoon of butter, and a small amount (maybe 1/4 of a cup) of red wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.

Spoon the sauce over the steaks and enjoy!

(even Sierra was eager for a taste....)

No comments:

Post a Comment